HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:05 pm

.....yeah.

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:30 pm

dolemike wrote:
.....yeah.

Sorry I was doing other stuff.

He's still riding on the wave of his three good films.

He's a hack that got lucky a few times. Hell, I feel most directors are hacks that got luck. Only a very few pulled it off every single time...Leone, Kurosawa, Curbucci from the 4 I've seen, and Bergman. Even Spielberg fell apart after his first few successes. AI? Really?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.screamindemon.com/
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:48 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
dolemike wrote:
.....yeah.

Sorry I was doing other stuff.

He's still riding on the wave of his three good films.

He's a hack that got lucky a few times. Hell, I feel most directors are hacks that got luck. Only a very few pulled it off every single time...Leone, Kurosawa, Curbucci from the 4 I've seen, and Bergman. Even Spielberg fell apart after his first few successes. AI? Really?

Hooper got fucked over by producers who recut most of his major films.

LIFEFORCE being a prime example. I clearly remember the shitstorm over that one in particular when the producers decided to edit the shit out of it, removing most of the things that held the film together and made it coherent and more logical.

The ones regarded as his best (with the exception of POLTERGEIST) were the ones that were released, either originally or eventually as he intended.

The whole POLTERGEIST controversy didn't help matters either and was a big setback.

He's just another of an endless parade of talent to get fucked in the ass repeatedly by the Hollywood system.

Producers kept wanting to hire the guy who made TCM, but then would chop the shit out of his films or just fire him when they thought they knew better. And it's a rare occurrance when a fucking producer really does know better.

If he's riding any 'wave' it's off the films that he got fucked over on.

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:49 pm

THat's fine. And I know that happens a lot. But, I know for a fact, films like TCM 2 and Eaten Alive he still had a lot more control over. And, those didn't come out nearly as good as the first three films he did.
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:11 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
THat's fine. And I know that happens a lot. But, I know for a fact, films like TCM 2 and Eaten Alive he still had a lot more control over. And, those didn't come out nearly as good as the first three films he did.

TCM 2 is a classic and EATEN ALIVE is decent, but not spectacular.

Besides, EATEN ALIVE is his 3rd film.

His 1st, EGGSHELLS, I havent seen so I cant say one way or the other.

Of course TCM is his 2nd.

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:12 pm

I knew about Eggshells. I rest my case. he couldn't continue on by copying himself.
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:22 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
I knew about Eggshells. I rest my case. he couldn't continue on by copying himself.

Copy himself?

The only thing that was closest to doing that was EATEN ALIVE being slightly reminiscent of TCM.

He didn't even copy himself with TCM2, for fuck's sake.

He tried like hell to get away from that but when he did, that's when he got fucked.

All anyone wanted was 'from the director of TCM' in their ads, but wanted him to make movies by their rules, not Hoopers.

The things he had some say in came out fine.

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:26 pm

Are you kidding? Eaten Alive was a complete ripoff of TCM but instead of a crazed family we had one crazed guy and his pet croc. It was the same fucking movie.
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
Are you kidding? Eaten Alive was a complete ripoff of TCM but instead of a crazed family we had one crazed guy and his pet croc. It was the same fucking movie.

Please.

If EA is a ripoff of TCM, then every fucking movie with a crazy guy is. Rolling Eyes

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:49 pm

dolemike wrote:
Bonomonomo wrote:

Please.

If EA is a ripoff of TCM, then every fucking movie with a crazy guy is. Rolling Eyes

Nah. Most movies arent'...I just sat there thinking...wow, he's doing it again. And, slower!
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:59 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
dolemike wrote:
Bonomonomo wrote:

Please.

Nah. Most movies arent'...I just sat there thinking...wow, he's doing it again. And, slower!

But aside from both having a crazy guy, and the appearance of Marilyn Burns, they're totally different.

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 pm

No. It still revolves around a desolate house, where people are tortured and a crazy person abuses them and hacks them up! :p
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:11 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
No. It still revolves around a desolate house, where people are tortured and a crazy person abuses them and hacks them up! :p

Hell, I can draw more paralells to PSYCHO.

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:13 pm

dolemike wrote:
Bonomonomo wrote:

I can't help it. He just recycled the formula and changed some characters around. Still was the same car with a new paint job. Oh, and a snazzy hood ornament.
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
dolemike wrote:
Bonomonomo wrote:

I can't help it. He just recycled the formula and changed some characters around. Still was the same car with a new paint job. Oh, and a snazzy hood ornament.

Nope.

Completely different story.

Like I was saying, if just having a few similar elements means he repeats himself, then every other filmmaker is just as guilty.

Look at Hitchcock and his 'McGuffins'.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:26 pm

dolemike wrote:

Like I was saying, if just having a few similar elements means he repeats himself, then every other filmmaker is just as guilty.

Look at Hitchcock and his 'McGuffins'.

That's true. Hitchcock definitely repeated himself more than a few times, yet people don't hold that against him. I'm not a fan of Hooper at all, but I don't think that's a good thing to criticize him for. Especially in an industry where people seem to be praised for bringing back themes from their past films.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exploitnation.bigforumpro.com
Bonomonomo

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:46 pm

Did you really start this thread to spite me? lol! lol! lol! lol!

Doesn't change the fact that the man's made only 3 films I like.
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
Did you really start this thread to spite me? lol! lol! lol! lol!

Doesn't change the fact that the man's made only 3 films I like.

Doesn't mean he's only made 3 good films. Razz

I made thgis thread for 2 reasons:

1) To test my mod like powers to see if I could figure out how to split threads &

2)The BURNING thread was turning into a TH thread anyway. Might as well give him his own thread.

Spiting you is just icing on the cake. Razz

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Yeah. You love that icing.
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:00 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
Yeah. You love that icing.

Mmmmm...

Vanilla Bean & Bonomo fail swirl.

My favorite! tongue

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:07 pm

I think I threw up in my mouth a bit. affraid
Back to top Go down
Disturbed Dan

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:10 am

**walks out of thread**

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonomonomo

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Smartest thing to do Dan.

Love your sig btw!
Back to top Go down
Disturbed Dan

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:49 pm

You both seem to have the bickering covered, I didn't want to intrude.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonomonomo

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:51 pm

geek

That's how we roll son!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread   

Back to top Go down

The Tobe Hooper Appreesh & Defense Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next