HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

El Topo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dead breed

PostSubject: El Topo   Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:34 pm

The gunfighter El Topo ("The Mole") and his young son ride through a desert to a village, whose inhabitants have been massacred. Bandits are nearby, torturing and killing the survivors. El Topo rescues a woman (Mara), who leads him on a mission to find and defeat the four master gunmen of the desert. Leaving his son with a group of monks, El Topo and Mara complete the mission, accompanied by a mysterious woman in black. The women leave El Topo wounded in the desert, where he is found by a clan of deformed people who take him to the remote cavern where they live. Awakening years later, he goes with a dwarf woman to a nearby town, promising to dig a tunnel through which the cave-dwellers can escape. They find the town run by a vicious sheriff and home to a bizarre religious cult. El Topo's son, now a man, is a monk in the town. The completion of the tunnel leads El Topo, the townspeople, and the cave-dwellers to a bloody and tragic end.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067866/

-------------------------------------------------

This is one of my favorite movies. Alejandro Jodorowsky is a master of the surreal and proves his worth with this classic tale of revenge and tragedy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BurtonOblivion

PostSubject: Re: El Topo   Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:03 pm

I much prefer The Holy Mountain to this, as I am really heavily involved on a person level with the study of the tarot, but El Topo is still easily in my top 20 or 30 films ever. Jodorowsky is one of the greatest living artists to have worked in film, and I think it's tragic that he doesn't get more recognition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/advocacyrising
Dave
Admin

PostSubject: Re: El Topo   Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:24 am

BurtonOblivion wrote:
I think it's tragic that he doesn't get more recognition.

Well, it certainly didn't help that his work only recently came to light on DVD here in the States. I remember having seen EL TOPO and SANTA SANGRE when I was around 13 or 14 and many images from those films have stayed with me since - especially SANTA SANGRE which must, simply MUST, get a legitimate US release. That lack of recognition doesn't really exist throughout the larger film culture, though, as evidenced by the sheer volume of critical work written about him.

But in terms of mainstream audiences, I will agree that his work still remains slightly underground. A release of SANTA SANGRE in the States, I firmly believe, would help change all of that. It's his most accessible film and, I believe, his best, and would appeal to those people who want a gateway into his work but don't have the stomach to deal with the avant-garde leanings of both EL TOPO and THE HOLY MOUNTAIN.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com
Colonel Mortimer
Admin

PostSubject: Re: El Topo   Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:29 am

Wasn't it something to do with the producer having a spat with Jodorowsky or something. He told Jodorowsky that nobody would ever see the films again and that they'd never be released on VHS or DVD or something. I think they only made up 3 or so years back hence the recent boxset.

I'm probably wrong on some details but it was along those lines.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exploitnation.bigforumpro.com
Irritena

PostSubject: Amazed   Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 pm

just read the thread! great job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: El Topo   Today at 4:39 am

Back to top Go down

El Topo
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1