HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EddieDingle

PostSubject: The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!   Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:06 am

I have recently been intrigued to get into this genre, but dont know where to start!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Stank of Mangina

PostSubject: Re: The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!   Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:11 pm

EddieDingle wrote:
I have recently been intrigued to get into this genre, but dont know where to start!

mondo cane as ive heard is probably the best of the bunch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!   Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 am

The Mask of Stan wrote:
EddieDingle wrote:

mondo cane as ive heard is probably the best of the bunch

MONDO CANE is the best of the bunch.... PERIOD.

Exploitative as it was, it is easy viewing compared to the manipulative, cruel and racist trash that followed it. Jacopetti and Prosperi never made a better film - although a few, like the incredibly insulting faux-documentary GOODBYE UNCLE TOM and the hideous, repulsive AFRICA ADDIO were surprisingly better filmed - and it's the only film of the cycle that can be viewed as something more than a crass attempt to cash in on the ever-growing market for sex and wholesale violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com
jimpickens

PostSubject: Re: The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!   Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:31 am

Goodbye Uncle tom and Slave Trade in The Modern World are good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
EddieDingle

PostSubject: Re: The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!   Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:41 am

can someone explain mondo cane to me a little more....is it basically extreme real footage? shock footage?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!   Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:29 am

EddieDingle wrote:
can someone explain mondo cane to me a little more....is it basically extreme real footage? shock footage?

MONDO CANE came before the ultimate goal of the mondo film was to repulse the viewer. It's a collection of strange customs from various parts of the world. A few examples: a Valentino look alike competition, a look at a Thai market where caged dogs are killed for food, strange mating games in New Guinea, snake worshippers, shark hunts, Portuguese bull runs...

The only extremely graphic scene is the decapitation of a bull during a customary ritual.

None of this will be too hard to stomach if you're looking to avoid hurling. Other mondo films, like AFRICA ADDIO, DEATH SCENES, and BRUTES AND SAVAGES, should be approached with caution if you're looking to avoid more graphic carnage. I've seen a good 25 - 30 of them so I might be able to steer you away those kinds of films if you'd like.

Oh, and ignore the guy above you who thinks GOODBYE UNCLE TOM is a good mondo film. It isn't. And by that I mean it isn't a good film (though beautiful, it's absolutely racist and patently ridiculous shit posing as a "true" look into African American slave life) nor is it a true mondo film. The whole point of that film's existence was for Jacopetti and Prosperi to clear their names after being labeled racists due to the content of AFRICA ADDIO. Well, they WERE racists - no one who has seen any of their films would say otherwise - and UNCLE TOM only served to prove, not disprove, those claims. Unless you wish to have your intelligence insulted - or are turned on by hgihly sexualized images of children - avoid it.
Back to top Go down
Mapache

PostSubject: Re: The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!   Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:06 am

EddieDingle wrote:

Two of my favorites might be a little difficult to find- Ecco and Sadismo. You haven't really lived until you've watched Laplander women tackle reindeer and castrate them with their teeth(For some reason, the "running of the Jew" scene in Borat reminds me of it. Laughing ) in Ecco. Sadismo's title is pretty self-explanatory. Mondos are always fun, especially when they take themselves seriously.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!   Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:53 am

Mapache wrote:

Two of my favorites might be a little difficult to find- Ecco and Sadismo. You haven't really lived until you've watched Laplander women tackle reindeer and castrate them with their teeth(For some reason, the "running of the Jew" scene in Borat reminds me of it. Laughing ) in Ecco. Sadismo's title is pretty self-explanatory. Mondos are always fun, especially when they take themselves seriously.

SADISIMO isn't bad, even though it's mostly footage from WORLD BY NIGHT.

ECCO is better. I love the score by Ortolani. Good stuff.

I don't know if I'd call Mondo films "fun", but they're definitely an acquired taste. I don't think I'd want to associate with anyone who considers AFRICA ADDIO "fun"... that person would need serious mental help.
Back to top Go down
frercapi

PostSubject: nice topic   Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:03 am

hi there amazing thread we have going there.
Back to top Go down
Enlavado

PostSubject: amazing topic   Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:41 am

hi nice post we have going there.
Back to top Go down
eagewTid

PostSubject: Iron Man 2 Download Ipod   Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:03 am

Downloads The Full The Warrior's Way Movie Where To Watch The Full Unknown Film New House, M.D. - Season Seven Movie Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole film download sites
Back to top Go down
Feewlyro

PostSubject: amazing topic   Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:50 am

Hello great thread we have going here!
Back to top Go down
Snantalt

PostSubject: Modern Family - Season Two Film In Hd   Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:59 am

buy movie Drive Angry pda Reviews House, M.D. - Season Seven Film download divx The Rite full lenght Download Entire Drive Angry Movie
Back to top Go down
Caxblool

PostSubject: good topic on this forum   Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:27 am

Just now looked through the topic. Amazing work.
Back to top Go down
immannin

PostSubject: Inception Watch Price   Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:37 pm

Download The Movie The Let Me In Unknown Movie Soundtrack Downloadable Films Human Target - Season Two online Watch A Movie Predators (2010)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!   

Back to top Go down

The best "Mondo" film? Help a newb!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1