HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Nightmare USA

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mmyers

PostSubject: Nightmare USA   Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1903254523
Quote :
From Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) to Eli Roth (Hostel), the young guns of modern Hollywood just can't get enough of that exploitation film high. That's because, between 1970 and 1985, American Exploitation movies went berserk. With censorship relaxed, and the gate to excess wide open, horror - the Exploitation genre par excellence - offered a vibrant alternative to the mainstream of American cinema. Luridly titled wonders like The Headless Eyes, Scream Bloody Murder and Hitch Hike to Hell were everywhere, from the drive-ins of Texas to the grindhouses of New York, touting a combination of mind-bruising violence, weird sex and drug-soaked delirium. Massively popular around the world, American exploitation movies added immensely to the richness of the nation's cinema, but they have remained persona non grata in most serious studies of American film. Until now... Built on five years of research, Nightmare USA explores the development of America's subterranean horror film industry, spotlighting some of the wildest films imaginable from an era unchecked by censorship or 'good taste.' Ranging from cult favourites like I Drink Your Blood to stylish mind-benders like Messiah of Evil and ultra-violent shockers like Don't Go in the House, Nightmare USA goes where no other in-depth study has gone before, revealing the fascinating true stories behind classics and obscurities alike. Stephen Thrower, author of Beyond Terror, the definitive book on Italian gore maestro Lucio Fulci, has explored the attics and cellars of American cinema, delved beneath the floorboards, peered between the walls, searching for the strangest, most exotic cine-lifeforms... Nightmare USA is the reader's guide to what lies beyond the mainstream of American horror, dispelling the shadows to meet the men and women behind fifteen years of screen terror: the Exploitation Independents! This massive overview of the Horror genre's development through the 1970s and 1980s features: -- In-depth EXCLUSIVE interviews with twenty-five grindhouse movie makers, many of whom are discussing their work for the first time ever in print. -- Over 175 individual films reviewed, with full cast and crew credits compiled by world-renowned cinema archivist Julian Grainger. -- Vast quantities of previously unpublished stills, posters, press-books, plus behind-the-scenes photographs from the filmmakers' own collections.

"The best book about the blood-drenched, scream-inducing, golden era of US independent horror cinema imaginable. Buy or die!"--Bizarre magazine

"One of the most fascinating and important film books in recent memory - nothing less than a secret history of American cinema."--Film Comment

"A truly important film book... a consistent pleasure to read."--Video Watchdog, issue 135
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:20 am

mmyers wrote:
Nightmare USA: The Untold Story of the Exploitation Independents
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1903254523
Quote :
From Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) to Eli Roth (Hostel), the young guns of modern Hollywood just can't get enough of that exploitation film high. That's because, between 1970 and 1985, American Exploitation movies went berserk. With censorship relaxed, and the gate to excess wide open, horror - the Exploitation genre par excellence - offered a vibrant alternative to the mainstream of American cinema. Luridly titled wonders like The Headless Eyes, Scream Bloody Murder and Hitch Hike to Hell were everywhere, from the drive-ins of Texas to the grindhouses of New York, touting a combination of mind-bruising violence, weird sex and drug-soaked delirium. Massively popular around the world, American exploitation movies added immensely to the richness of the nation's cinema, but they have remained persona non grata in most serious studies of American film. Until now... Built on five years of research, Nightmare USA explores the development of America's subterranean horror film industry, spotlighting some of the wildest films imaginable from an era unchecked by censorship or 'good taste.' Ranging from cult favourites like I Drink Your Blood to stylish mind-benders like Messiah of Evil and ultra-violent shockers like Don't Go in the House, Nightmare USA goes where no other in-depth study has gone before, revealing the fascinating true stories behind classics and obscurities alike. Stephen Thrower, author of Beyond Terror, the definitive book on Italian gore maestro Lucio Fulci, has explored the attics and cellars of American cinema, delved beneath the floorboards, peered between the walls, searching for the strangest, most exotic cine-lifeforms... Nightmare USA is the reader's guide to what lies beyond the mainstream of American horror, dispelling the shadows to meet the men and women behind fifteen years of screen terror: the Exploitation Independents! This massive overview of the Horror genre's development through the 1970s and 1980s features: -- In-depth EXCLUSIVE interviews with twenty-five grindhouse movie makers, many of whom are discussing their work for the first time ever in print. -- Over 175 individual films reviewed, with full cast and crew credits compiled by world-renowned cinema archivist Julian Grainger. -- Vast quantities of previously unpublished stills, posters, press-books, plus behind-the-scenes photographs from the filmmakers' own collections.

"The best book about the blood-drenched, scream-inducing, golden era of US independent horror cinema imaginable. Buy or die!"--Bizarre magazine

"One of the most fascinating and important film books in recent memory - nothing less than a secret history of American cinema."--Film Comment

"A truly important film book... a consistent pleasure to read."--Video Watchdog, issue 135

If you can stomach Thrower's writing then it's worth reading. I strongly disagree with many of his views - as I did with his writings on Fulci - but it was nice to see someone finally give a few of these filmmakers their due.

I get a 33% discount at my store on books so I didn't mind paying what I did but I would have never paid full price for it. It's simply not worth it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com
mmyers

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:19 am

Well I ordered it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:33 am

mmyers wrote:
Well I ordered it.

Congrats on that. You'll have a blast reading about films you've never heard of before and then drown in the disappointment of never being able to track down half of them.

Like I said, it's a good enough read if you enjoy Thrower's writing. If not, you won't get very far before wanting to burn it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com
mmyers

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:13 pm

Dave wrote:
mmyers wrote:
Well I ordered it.

Congrats on that. You'll have a blast reading about films you've never heard of before and then drown in the disappointment of never being able to track down half of them.

Like I said, it's a good enough read if you enjoy Thrower's writing. If not, you won't get very far before wanting to burn it.
I got through Scott Aaron Stine's horrid writing. He hardly seemed to like the films he wrote 2 books on. I am sure I can get past Thrower.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonomonomo

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:09 am

Just got it for Christmas. I'm about 24 pages in and it's pretty decent so far. Some of the stuff I'm really not that interested in, but it looks like a good time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.screamindemon.com/
ZebedyCostello

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Really enjoyed this, took me ages to read. Great in depth interviews and reviews, i found it to be very usefull. Volume 2 is due out soon....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonomonomo

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:34 am

ZebedyCostello wrote:
Really enjoyed this, took me ages to read. Great in depth interviews and reviews, i found it to be very usefull. Volume 2 is due out soon....

There's going to be a volume 2? *Faints*
Back to top Go down
ZebedyCostello

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:
ZebedyCostello wrote:

Yep!!! Check the back page, its printed in the hardback edition, he's done an interview with Meir Zarchi which im looking forward to reading..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonomonomo

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:46 pm

ZebedyCostello wrote:
Bonomonomo wrote:
ZebedyCostello wrote:

Yep!!! Check the back page, its printed in the hardback edition, he's done an interview with Meir Zarchi which im looking forward to reading..
It's going to be a while until I finish this one!
Back to top Go down
ZebedyCostello

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:52 pm

It took me easily 6 months to finish Volume 1!!!!! I'd forgotten everything else i'd read at the start when i finished it!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bonomonomo

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:16 am

ZebedyCostello wrote:
It took me easily 6 months to finish Volume 1!!!!! I'd forgotten everything else i'd read at the start when i finished it!!!

Now I'm excited. I love forgetting what I read. :p
Back to top Go down
ZebedyCostello

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Bonomonomo wrote:

Now I'm excited. I love forgetting what I read. :p

Razz Razz Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mmyers

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:03 am

I just started reading this and it is really good. Did anyone else notice on the inside of the front cover there is the title card from The Golden Girls?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huai0592

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   Wed May 25, 2011 5:19 am

I am a newer here.
Glad to meet u.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nightmare USA   

Back to top Go down

Nightmare USA