HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Foxy Brown (1974)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BurtonOblivion
BurtonOblivion

PostSubject: Foxy Brown (1974)   Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Every bit as fun as Coffy... and probably more over the top!

Foxy Brown is another excellent blaxploitation flick from Jack Hill (who I am quickly falling in love with!)

Quote :
Foxy Brown, a sexy African American woman, seeks revenge when her government-agent boyfriend is shot down by The Man, vowing revenge on the pushers and pimps that have ruled her community. She links her boyfriend's murderers to a "modeling agency" run by the campy villains of Steve Elias (Peter Brown) and Miss Katherine (Kathryn Loder). Foxy decides to pose as a prostitute to infiltrate the company, and helps save a fellow African American woman from a life of drugs and sexual internment. This leads Foxy to a variety of revenge-themed setpieces -often violent and sexual- that range from the cremation of sexual-slavemasters to the castration and presentation of a foe's genitals.

Goooood stuff, there!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071517/

My only complaint is the lack of Sid Haig. I wish his role had been bigger.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/advocacyrising
dolemike
Admin
dolemike

PostSubject: Re: Foxy Brown (1974)   Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Geez, I already typed this reply once, but the site seems to be fucking up on me this morning.

I like FOXY as much as COFFY, and sometimes more depending on my mood.

Like you said, it's a little more over-the-top than COFFY and maybe even a bit cartoonish, but to me that just helps give it more of it's own personality rather than just being a carbon copy cash-in. And it's got it's share of great lines & scenes too.

It was originally conceived by Hill to be a sequel to COFFY, but, for some reason AIP wanted another stand-alone flick. Probably thinking they could rake in more $ since sequels rarely pass originas at the BO.

I think it's kind of odd too that FB looks like a bigger film. The budget was slightly bigger, but since Hill's & Grier's stock had risen since COFFY and needed to be paid more, less $ actually made it to the screen.

If anyone digs COFFY & FB, it's a fairly sure bet that they'll also love Hill's & Grier's (with Sid Haig too) previous pairings THE BIG BIRD CAGE & THE BIG DOLLHOUSE which are both right up there. Pam's part of an ensemble and not the focus in those though.

For anyone who hasn't checked 'em out yet, I've posted a couple of cool & informative interviews in the Jack Hill thread!

Admin
Colonel Mortimer

PostSubject: Re: Foxy Brown (1974)   Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:15 pm

Really dug it but I'd place it a notch below Coffy. I liked that Coffy was a bit meaner. That said I could imagine it changing with mood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exploitnation.bigforumpro.com
SethDLH

SethDLH

PostSubject: Re: Foxy Brown (1974)   Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:52 am

just picked this up for $4 brand new. will be watching soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SethDLH

SethDLH

PostSubject: Re: Foxy Brown (1974)   Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:52 am

just watched it earlier, 8.5/10. so good
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kimdracula

Kimdracula

PostSubject: Re: Foxy Brown (1974)   Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Finally watched this last night. I'd say I like Coffy more, but I enjoyed the fuck out of this.

I laughed a good deal when she lit the rapists on fire, and hit the guy with the plane. Among other things. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foxy Brown (1974)   

Back to top Go down

Foxy Brown (1974)
Page 1 of 1